The Oakville Chamber of Commerce provides recommendations to drive economic development to the forefront of the municipal electionThe Oakville Chamber of Commerce released A Roadmap for Business Success, a campaign outlining the Oakville business community’s priorities for the upcoming 2018 municipal election. A Roadmap for Business Success builds off a recent advocacy survey conducted by the Oakville Chamber and provides all candidates running in the municipal election with the key issues and priorities facing the local business community. A Roadmap for Business Success, is built on four pillars:
1. Business CompetitivenessOakville Chamber members identified the top issues impacting business competitiveness as;
- Red Tape
- Cost of Housing
2. TransportationThe Oakville Chamber encourages the Town to work with local business to better understand and track employee commutes of those entering Oakville through the GO network for the last mile of their journey.
- 75% of survey respondents stated that congestion on Oakville roads is a barrier to their business.
3. Recruit and Retain TalentOakville is home to a world class educational institution and over 300 national and international corporate head offices. We must leverage the talent and opportunity we have in our own backyard.
- 3 in 10 respondents highlighted that recruiting and retaining talent in Oakville can be a challenge for their business.
4. InnovationThe Chamber encourages innovation by partnering with the business and tech community to pilot projects that drive smart city initiatives. The Lakeshore Road Reconstruction and Streetscape Project presents an opportunity to lay the foundation for Oakville to be one of the most connected and innovative communities in Ontario. Oakville must leverage the new technology and infrastructure on Lakeshore to enhance the connectivity across the entire Town. Prioritizing data collection will enable the Town to analyze the opportunities to foster innovation and increase efficiency.
In partnership with YourTV and Sheridan College, the Oakville Chamber will be hosting a Mayoral Debate in October. In the four weeks leading up to the debate, the Chamber will be releasing Mayoral Candidate statements highlighting the candidates’ vision on how they would address each of the four pillars.