The Town of Oakville is reviewing the Sign By-Law. We have heard from our members about the need to update this by-law, and now you can have your say. Complete the survey before September 5, 2017. It is anonymous and will take less than 10 minutes. The survey is now closed.
- Guide the types of advertising signs that are allowed on public property and on the property of business locations;
- Support the Town’s objectives to manage visual clutter, ensure the health and safety of the public, and preserve Oakville’s unique character, streetscape compatibility and priority intended for on-site first-party signs throughout the town; and
- Provide a balance between the Town’s objectives and the advertising interests of businesses.
- Health and safety – the design, location, maintenance, and operation of signs should not pose a safety hazard for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians
- Maintaining the community character – signs should be compatible with their surroundings, reflect the Town’s unique character, overall planning and design objectives and contribute positively to a livable environment
- Economic development – signs should contribute to the economic well-being of businesses and communities
- Respecting Charter rights – balancing of the Town’s objectives with the interests of the business community by ensuring that rights of commercial expression are minimally impaired for the purposes of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.