2. Our commitment In fulfilling our mission, the Oakville Chamber of Commerce strives at all times to provide our services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other members.
3. Providing goods and service to people with disabilities The Oakville Chamber of Commerce is committed to excellence in serving all members including people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
- 3.1 Communication: We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. We will train staff who communicate with members on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- 3.2 Telephone services We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone service to our members. We will train staff to communicate with members over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly. We will offer to communicate with members by email, fax or regular mail if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs or is not available.
- 3.3 Billing We are committed to providing accessible invoices to all of our members. We will answer any questions members may have about the content of the invoice in person, by telephone or email.
5. Notice of temporary disruption The Oakville Chamber of Commerce will provide members with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be placed at all public entrances and service counters on our premises.
6. Training for staff The Oakville Chamber of Commerce will provide training to all employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of customer service policies, practices and procedures. Individuals in the following positions will be trained: President, Office Manager, Sales Manager, Events Manager, Events Support, Communications Coordinator. This training will be provided within one month after staff commence their duties. Training will include the following:
- The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing the Oakville Chamber of Commerce’s services
- Oakville Chamber of Commerce’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard.
7. Feedback process The ultimate goal of the Oakville Chamber of Commerce is to meet and surpass customer expectations while serving members with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated. Feedback regarding the way the Oakville Chamber of Commerce provides services to people with disabilities can be made by email, phone or fax. All feedback will be directed to the Office Manager. Members can expect to hear back within five business days. Complaints will be addressed according to complaint categories already established in our organization’s complaint management procedures.
8. Modifications to this or other policies We are committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities. Any policy of the Oakville Chamber of Commerce that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed. This policy will be reviewed on an annual basis.
9. Questions about this policy This policy exists to achieve service excellence to members with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the policy, or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, an explanation should be provided by, or referred to the Office Manager of the Oakville Chamber of Commerce.